[This article was first published in August 2019 and has been revised and expanded.]
Summer is a great time for playing, swimming, camping and being outdoors. But if your own outdoor space is cluttered, a few summer cleaning tips can help.
If you use your outdoor areas regularly, especially if you have children, you know how quickly things can get cluttered. Combined with the normal dirt, dust, grass, leaves and other debris that piles up here and there, most yards and outdoor living areas need to be cleaned periodically.
Benign Neglect is a Slow Path to Clutter and Debris
Like most things in life, left to itself, a residential outdoor area will gradually and inevitably fall into an ever-increasing state of scruffy and unkempt landscaping and lawns. Sidewalks will begin to stain and sprout various vegetation in the cracks, usually weeds. And the general state of things will become dirtier and more cluttered over time.
On the other hand, a bit of domestic diligence on the part of a homeowner can prevent this natural tendency of decline. Outdoor spaces can retain a fresh, manicured and inviting state with clean walkways, patios or decks, and uncluttered yards free from debris.
While that sounds easy enough and simply just a bit of common knowledge, the reality is that for too many homeowners, this almost never happens. Instead, there is the fevered whirlwind attack of cleaning and pruning after a long winter, then little else gets done unless there's a big event planned with guests.
Then another fevered cleaning assault is staged.
But it doesn't have to be like that!
The Joys of Outdoor Cleaning in Summer
Cleaning outdoor areas during the summer months offers several advantages that make it an ideal time to tackle these tasks. Here are the key benefits of summer cleaning:
- Favorable Weather: Summer typically brings dry and warm weather, making it easier to clean outdoor spaces. The absence of rain or snow allows for faster drying times and reduces the chances of moisture-related issues such as mold or mildew growth.
- Extended Daylight Hours: Longer daylight hours during the summer provide ample time to complete outdoor cleaning tasks. You have more daylight to work with, making it convenient to tackle multiple projects or larger areas without feeling rushed.
- Enjoyable Outdoor Living: A clean and well-maintained outdoor space enhances your enjoyment of outdoor activities. Whether it's hosting barbecues, relaxing on a clean patio, or playing outdoor games, a tidy environment creates a more pleasant and inviting atmosphere for you and your guests.
- Increased Curb Appeal: Regularly cleaning and maintaining your outdoor areas during summer helps boost curb appeal. A clean and well-kept exterior creates a positive first impression, whether it's for your own satisfaction or if you plan to sell your property in the future.
- Preventative Maintenance: Cleaning during the summer allows you to identify and address any issues or potential problems early on. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent the accumulation of dirt, grime, and debris that can cause long-term damage to surfaces, structures, or outdoor furniture.
- Health and Safety: Cleaning outdoor areas removes allergens, pollen, and other irritants that can trigger allergies or respiratory issues. Additionally, keeping outdoor spaces clean and free of debris reduces the risk of slips, trips, and falls, making it safer for everyone, especially children and elderly individuals.
- Efficient Workflow: With more daylight and potentially less work-related commitments, the summer season offers an opportunity to focus on outdoor cleaning tasks. This allows you to plan and execute your cleaning projects more efficiently without distractions or time constraints.
Taking advantage of the summer months for outdoor cleaning ensures that your outdoor spaces remain beautiful, functional, and safe throughout the season. By embracing the advantages of summer cleaning, you can maximize the benefits of your outdoor areas and enjoy a clean and inviting environment for relaxation and recreation.
Hot Summer Outdoor Cleaning Tips
While much of the cleaning involved is likely to be fairly straightforward such as raking and sweeping, here are some great summer cleaning tips to speed you along your way to a neat and tidy outdoor living area.
As we pointed out, summer is the perfect time to spruce up your outdoor living areas and ensure that they are neat and tidy for the summer season. While some cleaning tasks may be obvious and straightforward, here are some great tips to help you breeze through your summer cleaning routine:
- Keep a few inexpensive brooms in different areas of your property for various cleaning chores.
- Use brooms to brush away spider webs from windows, screens, railings, mailboxes, and other structures.
- Sweep your porch, patio, or deck daily to remove debris left by weather and foot traffic.
Tip: Make sweeping a part of your morning routine to maintain a clean and inviting outdoor space throughout the summer.
- Patio Furniture:
- Rinse plastic and finished/painted wood patio furniture with a garden hose.
- Mix 1/2 cup of bleach with a gallon of water in a bucket.
- Use a sponge to wash down the furniture items with the bleach solution and keep them wet for about five minutes.
- Rinse the furniture thoroughly and allow it to dry.
- Take care not to splash plants and wear old clothes to protect yourself.
Tip: Give your patio furniture a refreshing makeover by following these steps, and enjoy a clean and comfortable outdoor seating area.
- Rain Gutters:
- Don't forget about your rain gutters during the dry summer weather.
- Use gutter-cleaning attachments for your lawn blower or garden hose to blow or wash out debris easily.
- Avoid using ladders if possible, but if necessary, exercise caution when pushing leaves out of the gutters.
- When washing the gutters, wear latex gloves to keep your hands dry and protected.
Tip: Regularly clean your rain gutters to prevent clogs and ensure proper water drainage, saving yourself from potential issues in the future.
- BBQ Grills:
- Heat the grates of your gas grill, then turn it off.
- Place a sliced lemon half on a long-handled fork or metal skewer, sprinkle salt on the lemon, and rub it over the grates.
- The acid in the lemon cuts grease, while the salt acts as a scrubbing agent.
- Alternatively, make a ball with foil, dip it in white vinegar, and scrub the grates with the foil ball.
Tip: Easily clean your BBQ grill using these simple techniques, allowing you to enjoy delicious, flavorful meals without any residue from previous cooking sessions.
- Garbage Bins:
- Combat odors in outdoor trash cans by spreading a light layer of baking soda at the bottom to absorb lingering smells.
- Consider adding a layer of old newspaper to soak up leaky trash residue.
- If possible, use large trash bags to contain and manage waste more effectively.
Tip: Say goodbye to unpleasant odors from your garbage bins by incorporating these tips into your cleaning routine, keeping your outdoor area fresh and clean.
- Concrete and Masonry Surfaces:
- Use a push broom or leaf blower to remove debris from your patio and sidewalks.
- For tough stains on concrete and masonry surfaces, try pouring white vinegar directly on the stains and scrubbing with a stiff brush.
- Alternatively, use lemon juice brushed on with a stiff push broom, as the acid reacting to sunlight can bleach out tough stains.
Tip: Restore the pristine appearance of your concrete and masonry surfaces by utilizing these cleaning methods, making your outdoor space look brand new.
- Mold Growth:
- Regularly scrape and sweep shady parts of your outdoor surfaces to remove mold.
- Spray vinegar on remaining mold spores to eliminate them.
- For hard-to-reach cracks or brick surfaces, create a solution of one cup of bleach and a gallon of water, and apply it with a sponge.
- Use a natural or nylon-bristle scrub brush to remove the mold, avoiding metal brushes that can leave rust stains.
Tip: Prevent mold growth on your outdoor surfaces by taking proactive measures and maintaining a clean and mold-free environment.
By following these hot summer cleaning tips, you'll be able to enjoy a well-maintained outdoor living area all season long.
Get Professional Help With Summer Cleanup Junk Disposal
Yard waste can come in many forms. In addition to your major cleaning debris or the landscaping project that’s left dirt and debris everywhere, everyday activity can leave things all over your yard.
And you may also have large amounts of junk and clutter in your yard that you haven’t had time to dispose of.
Whatever it is and whatever the reason, Junk King provides an efficient, safe and eco-friendly yard waste removal service so you don’t need to worry about the pick up or disposal of your yard debris. Our experienced debris removal team will break down and haul off any types of yard waste you have. Unlike the backseat of your car, our junk removal trucks are made to handle those dirty yard debris items.
So, are you ready to get rid of your yard waste? We make it as simple as 1,2,3.
Simply make an appointment by booking online above or by calling 1.888.888.JUNK (5865).
Our professional and insured yard waste removal team will show up at your home or office, and we’ll call 15 to 30 minutes before we arrive on site. Once there we’ll give you a free estimate based on how much room your junk takes up in our truck. You just point, and we haul the debris into our junk removal trucks.
And we do it all without any hidden fees!