Getting and staying organized at home can be a challenge, but one of the keys to success is with effective storage and organization routines.
Perhaps the biggest problem most of us face when it comes to getting organized is finding the time. The next biggest problem is finding the space for storing all our 'stuff.'
The Eternal Quest for Getting Organized at Home
Partly because of human nature and partly because of the nature of our typical lifestyles, getting and staying organized at home can be annoyingly difficult for many.
It can be annoying when we find ourselves repeatedly searching for things that we can't seem to find at home. And it can be difficult when we find that there seems to be little time for working through our homes to declutter and arrange all of our things.
Add to this the fact that most of us have more "stuff" than we have storage space in our homes.
Of course, that reality is part of the reason that self-storage rental units are such a massive and growing industry. Seriously!
Here is some recent data that illustrates this:
- According to a survey conducted in 2021, almost 40 percent of Americans rent self-storage.
- In 2018, there were an estimated 23,404,300 individual self-storage units in the United States.
- In addition, 65 percent of self-storage renters have a garage in their home, 47 percent have an attic, and 33 percent have a basement.
However, aside from getting rid of much of our household belongings, which some people actually choose to do, optimizing the space in your home is a great way to resolve the lack of storage space issue.
A Deeper Dive Into Organization and Storage at Home
The good news is that almost every home has far more storage "space" than people realize. Part of the problem for many is that the available spaces in their homes has not been optimized for storing things.
In addition, most households lack a consistent plan and strategy for reducing the overall amount of stuff they have, and then keeping what's left efficiently organized and conveniently stored.
With that in mind, we put together this graphic that illustrates some of the pertinent information about the "state of organization" in homes and some great tips and best practices.
Share this Image On Your Site
When you make the decision to declutter and begin ridding yourself of "excess" stuff and belongings, start with the “one in/one out” rule. This rule will keep you in the right frame of mind throughout the organizing process.
The “one in, one out” rule is a minimalist habit that can help keep your home clutter-free. It’s a simple rule where for each item you bring into your home, you take another one out. This rule can be applied to any area of your home where clutter tends to accumulate such as your closet, pantry, or even your bookshelf.
Organizing and Storing Tips and Best Practices
Here is a brief collection of some top tips and tactics for optimizing the space that already exists in your home for storing all your things:
- Carefully consider every new item: Before you bring something new into your home, think about whether you really need it.
- Turn down items that don’t have a place in your home: If you don’t have a place for something, it’s probably not worth keeping.
- Every item in your home should have a home: In other words, everything you own has a place where it belongs.
- Create centers or stations for specific items: Assign a specific spot for each item in your home. This will help you quickly find what you need and prevent clutter from accumulating. For example, create a station for your keys, mail, and other important items.
- Set aside specific time to organize: Don’t attempt to accomplish it in one day. Schedule time each week to organize your home. Repeat as needed.
- Declutter regularly: The less stuff you have, the easier it is to keep your home organized. Make it a habit to regularly declutter and donate or sell items you no longer need.
And don't overlook other spaces in your home such as attics and basements, if you have them, and your garage. With the strategic addition of shelving and containers, these spaces can be optimized to hold far more stored items than you might think.
So, at the risk of repeating ourselves, here is our Number One tip for staying organized at home:
Have a designated place for everything and to consistently put things back in their designated place after use. This means creating a system of organization that works for you and your home, whether it's using labeled storage containers, arranging items by category, or simply having a designated spot for frequently used items.
By consistently returning items to their designated place, you can help prevent clutter from building up and make it easier to find what you need when you need it.
And Here's a bonus tip: when you need to dispose of all the excess junk and unwanted stuff after decluttering, don't worry about doing it yourself - just make a call to Junk King and let us do all the work and heavy lifting for you!
Let Us Help You Get Clutter-Free With Our Professional Junk Removal
Junk King offers efficient, safe and green residential junk removal service so you don’t have to worry about how to get rid of your junk after your decluttering and organizing project is done.
And whether you need our services several times during a home organizing project, or just once when you're done, our junk hauling professionals can make sure that the all your unwanted items are quickly out of your way so that you can enjoy your organized and uncluttered home!
Our expert teams specialize in residential junk and rubbish removal.
And we can often be at your home in mere minutes, so give us a call today! In addition, we are fully insured and well-trained, so you can trust us to remove and haul off your unwanted items in a professional and courteous fashion.
Here are several reasons you'll love your experience with Junk King:
- We offer easy scheduling and on-time arrivals.
- We give you a courtesy call about 15 to 30 minutes before we arrive.
- Our uniformed crews are trained, insured professionals.
- We promise fast and thorough service.
- Our estimates are free and we have no hidden fees or charges.
Of course, one of the best things about working with Junk King is that we recycle as much of the material we pick-up as possible. This is because we are genuinely committed to being a green and eco-friendly junk removal service.
So, if you want to know about what we can do for you, give us a call at 1-888-888-JUNK (5865).