There is something refreshing and energizing about starting a new year. And one way to make that even better is by decluttering and organizing your home.
Keep in mind, however, that decluttering and organizing is not a one time event - it's a lifestyle habit and must be undertaken periodically throughout the year.
The Joys of a Clutter Free Home
There are few events to bring home the degree of clutter and amount of possessions one has than having to relocate and move your belongings.
For those who've lived in the same house for more than, say, 10 years, it can be an eye-opener.
According to one website,
A third of the US population has experienced “extreme anxiety” over clutter and nearly two-thirds (63%) admit they have too many belongings, a survey by selling app Mercari.
Of course, as Americans, we are somewhat accustomed to hearing about how much we tend to accumulate and acquire in the way of personal belongings. But, for good measure, here are some pertinent statistics along those lines:
- One out of four houses with two-car garages keeps so much stuff in it they cannot park a car in the garage. (US Department of Energy)
- On average, every American throws away over 68 pounds of clothing every year (The Huffington Post)
- Americans spend about $1.2 trillion annually on non-essential items. (The Wall Street Journal)
The problem with having all this "stuff" is that it creates a vast amount of clutter. And it has been shown by numerous studies and surveys that household clutter is a major cause of stress, anxiety, and guilt among Americans.
Or example, as an article from Utah State University noted, a study by the University of Connecticut found that removing and controlling clutter can directly reduce the stress.
The study found that decluttering can lead to the following mental health benefits:
- Boost your mood and help improve your physical health. The ability to complete physical activity while organizing can enhance creativity by allowing the mind to wander. Letting our mind go a little as we organize our clutter can help us relax mentally while our body is staying active. Together, these states can boost our mood because we feel less stressed about the clutter, and we feel gratification from seeing our results.
- Sharpen your focus. Clutter is messy and chaotic and can make it difficult for us to focus. When your space is decluttered, however, it is much easier to stay focused because what you see is in it's place. That sense of organization helps your mind to stay on track to complete other tasks.
- Energize you into productivity mode. When you are decluttering you are problem solving, and therefore getting things done. You gain energy from seeing the results of your decluttering. And your gained energy can also help tackle other items on your to-do list!
- Relieve anxiety. When things are not organized or clean, it can often trigger anxiety. You may feel constantly stressed, worried, or afraid of more clutter accumulating. Decluttering can remove that anxiety and help us to think clearer and feel more calm.
In addition, maintaining a "clutter free" living space can help us to feel happier, less anxious, and more confident in ourselves.
Tips for Decluttering and Organizing for 2023
As we head into the New Year, one of the ways we can pave the way for a more stress-free and enjoyable home space is to clear the clutter of previous years and organize the things we want to keep.
Remember, clutter is as much a mental distraction as it is a physical burden. Not only is the end result of an uncluttered environment both mentally and emotionally healthy, so are the actual processes of decluttering and organizing themselves.
And to help with that, we've put together this handy tip checklist for decluttering and organizing in the New Year of 2023:
Share this Image On Your Site
Successfully removing clutter in your home can have a healthy and positive impact your life.
As another article pointed out,
In a paper published in the Journal of Environmental Psychology in June 2016, survey responses from adults in the United States and Canada revealed that clutter can have a negative effect on subjective well-being and happiness. Though “home” is typically considered a safe and secure place, clutter compromises some of that security, according to the survey responses.
Let Us Help You Be Clutter-Free This Year With Professional Junk Removal
Junk King offers efficient, safe and eco-friendly junk removal service so you don’t need to worry about how to dispose of your junk after your decluttering and organizing project is done.
And whether you need our services several times during a home cleaning project, or just once after you're done, just keep in mind that our junk hauling professionals will make sure that the all your unwanted items are quickly out of your way so that you can get on with your simpler, uncluttered life.
Our teams specialize in trash and junk removal. That means that we can often be at your home in mere minutes, so give us a call today! In addition, we are fully insured and well-trained, so you can trust us to get rid of your unwanted items in a professional and courteous fashion.
Here are several reasons you'll love your experience with Junk King:
- Easy scheduling and on-time arrivals.
- A courtesy call about 15 - 30 minutes before we arrive.
- Our uniformed crews of trained, insured professionals.
- We're in-and-out with fast and thorough service.
- Our straightforward estimates and no hidden fees
Of course, one of the best things about partnering with Junk King is that we recycle as much of the material we pick-up as possible. This is because we are genuinely committed to being a green and eco-friendly junk removal service.
So, if you have questions about what we do, give us a call at 1-888-888-JUNK (5865).