The warm weather is here to stay, and now is the time to get going on those home renovation projects you've been thinking about all winter. Perhaps the most important question you will need answered before you get started is - do I need a permit for this project?
Here are a few of the changes to your home that you can be sure will require a permit.
- Anytime you attempt to remove a load-bearing wall
- When you're making electrical changes that require rewiring for example re-wiring
- Anytime you're making changes to your roof, including re-roofing, roof overlays, or changing the roofline
- If you're adding a fence over a certain height (you should check what the regulations are in your area).
Does the idea of going through the permit process give you goose bumps? Not to worry, here are some changes you can make to your home without a permit:
- Interior or exterior painting
- Installation of new floors (carpeting, hardwood, and laminate)
- Upgrading your countertops or replacing a sink
- Building a tree house
You should always check with your local county office before starting any project, since rules and regulations are different based on municipality.
Don't forget to give us a call if you need help removing any renovation debris.